Sunday, July 11, 2010

Football

Our school van driver (it was a private business) was a busy person, he had taken responsibility of more people than he could manage in one go, hence he used to make two or three rounds when picking up and dropping children, and as his confidents we were the last to be picked up and last to be dropped, it was a friendship agreement, our parents never got to know that. Well, so we had to wait for more than half an hour daily after school, and our favourite pass time was play as usually it should be, and one of the games we played was football, at least that is what we called it. Ground was a “chabootra” (closely like a footpath, but it is built by the house owner as it suits one, and not mandatory) around 12 feet long and six or seven feet wide, goal posts were marked by stones and remarkably the ‘ball’ usually has to be a stone as well as we never felt it necessary to have a ball, nevertheless the balls we tried were the ping pong ball, tennis ball and those small bouncy rubber balls which are mostly lost quickly. Most of time it was a stone as continuous availability of a ball was not possible, and we never felt it was necessary. But now, as I imagine myself playing with a stone along with a bunch of boys on a foot path, it feels crazy, but that is the beauty of that game as I discovered it later (anyone anyway, all you need is something which can be hit and move afterwards). That was my introduction to football, and of course we never cared about rules, it was only when I started to play with my classmates in a proper football field, I came to know about rules. And this is another great quality of the game; for sure you do not need to worry about ’offside’ very much and who hits his comrades by will? It was only accidental if somebody was hurt. So we were all set to enjoy and play, and that is what we did.

It was not only footpath; I have played football in the garage, in courtyard, on the road, in the garden, in the playground (not a football ground) and in proper football field as well. I should mention that I never was a good player, but who cares and no one cared, it was for fun we played, so as people do. And in a community where hatred and division was on rise (race, ethnicity, religion, you name it and we had it, yes those were the days when Afghan war was in full swing, Zia was in his prime, MQM was becoming powerful in Urban Sindh and we had started to witness the rise of trends now we debate daily ) it was a blessing for me, as I find something in common with Sindhis, and Punjabis, and Pathans, and Hindus and Christians, something where no one cared about being a Shia or a Sunni (not only football, but cricket and hockey as well which I enjoyed playing with my mates across all communities and classes). I am saying it was a blessing as I learned very early that end of the day we are humans despite all our differences (something which many grownups fail to realize till their end) and despite differences we can always find something common, I also learned that we all feel and react same way, or joys and sorrows, our physical and mental limitations, how we get motivated, how we get hurt, how we get injured, how we go into conflicts, why we need mediation, another person to provide us with the justice. Yes to the core of it, we are all one and same. I am thankful to football, it thought me a very important lesson in my life.

And that is what thousands of others across the globe do, they play and enjoy with whatever means they can have, this is a game for everyone, this is a game for anywhere. And that is the beauty of this game, the reason why it is so much popular across the globe, this game provides opportunities to everyone.

(I am reding on the history of the game, how it developed and became popular, social and other factor behind the game, it is interesting)

1 comment:

  1. You reminded me of the mornings of my school days. This is not about me though. We used to get picked up by the school bus at 6:25am sharp from Class 6 through Class 10. It is an early start of the day for children in summer, specially in the winters at 6:25am you can see shining stars and Namazi-s coming back from masajid.

    By the time our school bus used to reach to the Safari Park, there were some quarters and a ground field where soccer could be played easily, may be half the size of real soccer field. And at around 7:00 or 7:15am when our school bus used to pass in front of Safari Park I always got excited seeing the Makrani bhai playing in the field. That was so fascinating and thrilling to me, although nothing really special if you don't feel it. Almost everyday when the school bus was on the university road near Safari Park my eyes were looking on the right side to watch the Makrani bhai playing soccer there, with colorful T-shirts and shorts.

    Poor people, they were. And definitely there were some residents from the local quarters there, may be some working in the park. But the passion was there.

    Criminals are those who did not let this sport grow in the country. Who could have and had all the authorities and did not pay any attention towards the dreams of so many potential stars the world could have seen.

    I wish I could have said "I hope we will make it"

    Nasir

    ReplyDelete